Friday, June 15, 2007

Home for 30 Days

So, we got the bone scan results back and the doctor kind of freaked out about how messed up my heel really is. He decided to pull me from training immediately -- that was two weeks ago. Since I was being pulled anyway, I decided to go ahead and tell him about all the other aches I've been having and we've now found another nice fracture in my hip. Yay! It's not actually broken in two pieces, but I've been warned by both the doctor and one of my drill sergeants (last cycle a girl had the same fracture, continued to run on it, and broke her hip badly enough to require surgery and possibly a hip replacement in the future) to stay the heck off of it for a while.

So, I'm home for 30 days medical leave, as recommended by the doctors and approved by the company commander. Well, I'm almost home. Right now I'm sitting in the USO in the airport in St. Louis, killing time before my 11:25 flight. I'll be in Knoxville at 9 tonight.

I'm fairly bummed that I'm not going to be graduating with my platoon, of course. Especially since today is the very first day of week 8 and everyone is, as I type this, probably just finishing the 10K ruck to the final field training exercise. They'll be essentially done with basic training on Wednesday morning, after marching 15K home from the field. When I go back, I'll have to go through physical therapy until I am able to run 2 miles without any pain and then I'll start with a new bunch of people, maybe in a new company entirely, at week 5 or 6. That sucks. But, it's better to stop now with a little fracture than stop later really busted up.

So, I'm going to sign off and go find a Starbucks in this airport. Yum!